Keeping God’s Sovereignty in Mind During Election Season
All right. Maybe you’re worried or at least a little stressed about this upcoming election. Both sides, if you like to call them sides, are in a tizzy over what’s going to happen next month. You might not even be able to vote yet, but I bet you’re still a little nervous or agitated, because it’s hard to get online or watch the news or go out in public without being confronted with the stress and emotion surrounding this presidential race.
We’re hearing phrases like “the most important election in our history” and “change the course of history” and epic stress-inducing things like that. Regardless of what your political views are (because I so don’t want to get into that online), most Americans are feeling the pressure mounting as we approach election day.
So, as Christians how are we to view this upcoming election? How are we to respond to the election if the results surprise or disappoint us?
It’s important to understand what scripture says about nations and rulers and to trust God’s Word over all else. Especially in this time of turmoil in our country, let’s dive into God’s unshakable truth and discover what the Bible says about rulers and authorities.
Here are ten verses to remember before you vote and after the results come in:
1. Daniel 2:20-21 - Daniel said, “Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever, For wisdom and power belong to Him.
“It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men And knowledge to men of understanding.
2. Daniel 4:31 - While the word was in the king's mouth, a voice came from heaven, saying, “King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is declared: sovereignty has been removed from you.”
3. Deut. 7:24 - He will deliver their kings into your hand so that you will make their name perish from under heaven; no man will be able to stand before you until you have destroyed them.
4. 1 Ch. 29:11 - Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth; Yours is the dominion, O LORD, and You exalt Yourself as head over all.
5. Psalm 2:1-6 - Why are the nations in an uproar And the peoples devising a vain thing? The kings of the earth take their stand And the rulers take counsel together Against the LORD and against His Anointed, saying, “Let us tear their fetters apart And cast away their cords from us!” He who sits in the heavens laughs, The Lord scoffs at them. Then He will speak to them in His anger And terrify them in His fury, saying, “But as for Me, I have installed My King Upon Zion, My holy mountain.”
6. Psalm 22:28 - For the kingdom is the LORD’S and He rules over the nations.
7. Psalm 103:19 - The LORD has established His throne in the heavens, And His sovereignty rules over all.
8. Psalm 118:9 - It is better to take refuge in the LORD Than to trust in princes.
9. Prov. 21:31 - The horse is prepared for the day of battle, But victory belongs to the LORD.
10. Rom 13:1 - Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
Now, in case you need a little more, here is a great website with tons of additional biblical resources for battling your anxiety, not just regarding the upcoming election, but in all things.
I hope that this reassured you concerning the results of the election. God is in control of this election, as He is with all kings and all authorities on earth.
If you're interested in the topic of God's sovereignty, shoot me an email or write a question in the comments.